xiv + 272 pp.
£27.50 / $55 / €40
£55 / $110 / €80
The Impartial God
Essays in Biblical Studies in Honor of Jouette M. Bassler
Edited by Calvin J. Roetzel, Robert L. Foster
Jouette M. Bassler, Professor of New Testament at Perkins School of Theology at Southern Methodist University since 1986, is widely recognized for contributions to Pauline studies, the Pastoral Epistles, women in the New Testament, and for her work as editor of the Journal of Biblical Literature from 1995 to 1999.
The nineteen contributions to this Festschrift include: Charles Cousar on the Christ-hymn in Philippians, Gordon Fee on the locative en in Galatians, Benjamin Fiore on kinship address in Philemon, Robert Foster on the visions of grace in Ephesians, Serge Frolov on the “Rebellious Tenants” story as political allegory, Victor Furnish on the theology of faith, love, and hope in 1 Thessalonians, Roy Heller on widows in Deuteronomy, Robert Jewett on wrath and violence in Romans and 1 Thessalonians, Elizabeth Johnson on first-century asceticism, Ila Bovee Kraft on the fictive interlocutor in 1 Corinthians 14, Steven Kraftchick on death in Philippians, Alan Mitchell on friendship in 1 Cor. 6:8, Richard Nelson on Achsah in Judges, Jerome Neyrey on characters in the Fourth Gospel, David Rensberger on the Holy Spirit in Pauline churches, Calvin Roetzel on violent metaphorical language in 2 Corinthians, E.P. Sanders on the providence of God in Josephus and Paul, Joseph Tyson on conflicting views of leadership in Acts, and Larry Yarbrough on concern for the poor of Jerusalem.
Calvin J. Roetzel is Sundet Chair in New Testament and Christian Studies at University of Minnesota, Twin Cities.
Robert L. Foster is Adjunct Assistant Professor of Religion at Southern Methodist University.
A Tribute to Jouette M. Bassler. Calvin Roetzel and Robert Foster
1. The Widow in Deuteronomy: Beneficiary of Compassion and Co-option. Roy L. Heller
2. What is Achsah Doing in Judges? Richard D. Nelson
3. Reclaiming the Vineyard: The “Rebellious Tenants” Story as a Political Allegory. Serge Frolov
4. Role and Status in the Fourth Gospel: Cutting through the Confusion. Jerome H. Neyrey, SJ
5. Showing and Telling: Issues of Authority and Leadership in Acts. Joseph B. Tyson
6. God Gave the Law to Condemn: Providence in Paul and Josephus. E.P. Sanders
7. Spirit, Spirituality, and Divine Presence in Paul. David Rensberger
8. Paul, the Pillars, and the Collection for Jerusalem. Larry Yarbrough
9. Wrath and Violence in Paul’s First and Last Letters: Reflections on the Implications of Divine Impartiality. Robert Jewett
10. Friends Do Not Wrong Friends: Friendship and Justice in 1 Corinthians 6.8. Alan C. Mitchell
11. The Interlocutor Speaks: Diatribal Patterns in 1 Corinthians 14.34-35. Ila Bovee Kraft
12. A Rhetoric of ‘Violence’: Mere Metaphor or Virtual Reality? 2 Corinthians 10.1-6 and 11.1-15. Calvin J. Roetzel
13. Paul’s Use of the Locative en in Galatians: On Text and Meaning in Galatians 1.6; 1.16; 2.20; 3.11-12 and 3.26. Gordon D. Fee
14. Exploring the Limits of Grace: The Theological and Rhetorical Force of charis in Ephesians.Robert L. Foster
15. Abstracting Paul’s Theology: Extending Reflections on ‘Death’ in Philippians. Steven Kraftchick
16. The Function of the Christ Hymn (2.6-11) in Philippians. Charles Cousar
17. Faith, Love, and Hope: First Thessalonians as a Theological Document. Victor Paul Furnish
18. A Modest Proposal in Context. E. Elizabeth Johnson
19. Christian Kinship in the Paraenesis of Philemon. Benjamin Fiore, SJ
The consistently high quality of the essays and the overwhelming focus on Paul will make the volume a welcome addition for scholars of Paul. It would be unfortunate, however, for other scholars to overlook the volume, given the five excellent essays on the OT, Gospels, and Acts. David A. Bosworth, Catholic Biblical Quarterly.
This fine collection of essays honours a distinguished scholar who has made a significant inflict in Pauline studies … a fine tribute to a widely appreciated female scholar. Kathy Ehrensperger, Journal for the Study of the New Testament Booklist.